In last week’s Vienna-Oakton real estate update, we shared some tips for how to keep your home safe when you’re traveling during the holidays. One of our neighbors (who happens to know a bit about this topic since he is a Sheriff!) added some great comments when we posted our tips on The Belt Team Facebook page. We thought we’d share them here as well.
The original post suggested you set up timers on certain lights in your house & install motion detector lights outdoors. My neighbor added, “My two cents on timers. If you use them, stagger the times they go on and off, create the illusion of movement in the house. Most people have them go on and off at the same time. Instead, have downstairs timers go on during normal dinner & TV time, and then go off. Then have upstairs timers go on like you’re going to bed. Works great and gives the bad guys doubts if you’re home or not.” GREAT ADVICE!
Now – for our local readers (or those who want to move here!) – what has happened in the last week in Vienna & Oakton?
- Inventory in Vienna & Oakton remains almost identical to pre-Thanksgiving levels. There are currently only 134 homes for sale in Vienna and 63 homes for sale in Oakton.
- Sales slowed over the Thanksgiving holiday. Only 6 homes in Vienna & Oakton went under contract. And with 3-4 months of housing inventory, we moved back from a Seller’s Market to a Balanced Housing Market.
SELLERS: Make sure you read our blog post about whether or not it’s a good idea to sell during the holidays. In general, low inventory & low housing supply mean good things for you. But there are lots of things to consider. (We can also provide you with a list of 43 questions you should ask your Realtor when you’re thinking of selling your home.)
BUYERS: We have been publishing statistics for Vienna & Oakton on a weekly basis for over 3 years now. In all of that time, Vienna has NEVER been in a Buyer’s Market and Oakton has only trended that way for 3 weeks in 2010. This is just another reason why you need to make sure you are working with a Realtor as your advocate. And not just any Realtor, but a Realtor whose skill set benefits YOU. (You may want to read this article that points out what a Buyer should look for in a Realtor.)
If you’re thinking of buying or selling a home soon, you can email The Belt Team (or call us at 703-242-3975) to schedule a Buyer or Seller consultation, to request a FREE WRITTEN REPORT of your home’s value or to be put on our FREE PRIORITY NOTIFICATION LIST for special buying opportunities that are not in the MLS or on the Internet.
For our detail-oriented readers, here are last week’s stats:
Last week in Vienna Real Estate (22180,22181, 22182):
- Number of Contracts: 6
- Average Days on Market for Active Listings: 135 days
- Average Days on Market for Listings That Went Under Contract: 61 days
- Inventory: 134 homes on the market
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 90 day contract rate):2.6 months
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 30 day contract rate): 3.4 months
Here are last weeks stats for Oakton Real Estate (22124):
- Number of Contracts: 0
- Average Days on Market for Active Listings: 115 days
- Average Days on Market for Listings That Went Under Contract: n/a
- Inventory: 63 homes on the market
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 90 day contract rate): 3.4 months
- Number of Months Supply of Homes (Based on past 30 day contract rate): 4.2 months
If youre thinking of buying or selling a home, Contact The Belt Team at (703) 242-3975 for a more in-depth discussion & analysis – because its only the neighborhood YOU live in (or you WANT to live in) that matters. We’ll be happy to schedule a consultation and get very detailed about “YOUR Market” so that you can make the decision that is best for YOU!